Does anyone else have "the dark" room at their house? You know, the room that just doesn't ever seem to get enough light, no matter how bright it is outside? Well, for me that room is our bedroom. I would loveto someday add bigger windows to that room, but I decided in the meantime that it would probably be more cost-effective to just paint the room a bright white to reflect as much light as possible. The furniture colors are pretty neutral in our bedroom because the walls used to be a robin's egg blue, but now that the walls are white, well, I realized pretty quickly that I needed to add more color ASAP.
I thought it would be the perfect solution to make three wooden panels to act as an art headboard and paint something really colorful and bright across the panels. When deciding what to paint, I remembered a geometric background I made for my laptop last year and thought it would be a fun pattern to use. Since the original design used overlapping shapes with different opacity levels, I had to choose a bunch of different paint colors to create all the hues that are made when the shapes overlap. It was like a big color puzzle, but kind of fun to figure out all the different shades.
While I was tweaking the design and picking out the paint colors, Josh got started on the panels and cut three identical boards 20" x 53". He added a 1.5" x 1.5" border all the way around the edges to give the panels extra stability and assembled the pieces together using a pocket screw method. Once assembled, the panels were painted a bright white and they were ready for some color!
I printed an outline of all my shapes onto a transparency so I could use my projector to project the image onto the boards. I also hung the panels the correct distance apart on the wall so the shapes would line up correctly when it was hung above my bed.
I made a printout of my pattern and assigned each color a number so I could make a chart of what color goes where (believe me, this made it way less confusing when I went to paint each color).
Once the pattern was traced and my colors were planned out, I used painter's tape to tape off each section and painted one color at a time until the whole pattern was completed. It wasn't actually as much work as I thought it would be, but it did take a bit of time to complete since I had to wait for each color to dry before doing a second coat or painting a color right next to it. Thankfully, I had a big fan pointed at it, so that helped speed up the drying time.
So far I'm really into the pop of color that the new headboard adds to the space. It definitely adds more personality and life to the room, and I love the fact that it really looks like overlapping transparent shapes. I'm trying to plan out my other pops of color to add to the room, but I think I'm on a good path so far! xo. Laura
Credits // Author: Laura Gummerman. Photography: Laura Gummerman and Sarah Rhodes. Project Assistant: Josh Rhodes. Photos edited with Stella from The Signature Collection.